“Maka le wakan -- the land is sacred. These words are at the core of our being. The land is our mother, the rivers our blood. Take away our land and we die. That is, the Indian in us dies. We'd become just suntanned white men, the jetsam and floatsam of your great melting pot."—Mary Brave Bird
Does it evoke images of the dusty streets you walked down as a child or memories of the sacred land you grew up on? Does your mind wander to property rights or the importance of respecting the earth? Maybe you have a broader definition of the word and recall a time you landed on your feet after taking a leap of faith. However you interpret the meaning of Land, World Pulse wants to hear from you!..:Deadline for submissions: November 15, 2009.
World Pulse is pleased to announce an exciting, new opportunity to be published in the next edition of our print magazine, Earth, which showcases women leaders who are protecting and restoring the planet's ecosystems. World Pulse is asking women around the world, and their allies, to tell what Land means to them.
This opportunity kicks off a new feature in our magazine called My Story. My Story highlights personal stories of women around the world describing pivotal experiences in their lives, in their own words.
Everyone who participates will self-publish their story on Worlde Pulse's social networking website, PulseWire, and 6-8 stories will be chosen for publication in the Spring 2010 edition of World Pulse Magazine. If your story is selected you will also receive a complimentary copy of the magazine.
Do YOU have a powerful, personal story about Land?
My Story Guidelines
- Topic: Land. We encourage creative interpretations of this general theme, but the piece must be non-fiction. We look for unique, honest, personal, and creative entries that showcase the true-life stories of women and their allies in their own words. Speak your truth and let your story be told!
- Length: 250 words, maximum.
- Dates: Submit your story between now and November 15th, 2009. All stories must be submitted by 11:59pm, PST on November 15th. Please use the time and date converter tool here to find out when this is in your local time.
- Only one story per person will be evaluated.
How To Submit Your Story
Here is the process for submitting your entry:
- Register an account on PulseWire here and fill out your profile. To be considered, you must fill out a complete profile.
- Join the "My Story: Land" group on PulseWire. Pulse Wire will use this group to make announcements.
- Post your story to your personal journal. To do this:
1. Go to "My Pulse" on the top navigation bar. Select "Post to My Journal."
2. Choose a creative title for your post.
3. In the "Tags" field, enter MyStory2009. Submissions without this Tag will not be considered.
4. Write your submission in the journal entry field. Remember to keep the word count to 250 or less.
5. Click "Submit" and you're done!
For further information, please visit World Pulse